[guide.chat] In Reply To: part 4 junior school

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:25:04 +0100

Malcolm;
Compared to you, I got off lightly!
It seems that, in those days, some - but not all - teachers were sadists, or
ignorant of what 'disability' meant. I spoke of my infant teacher - the one who
used the belt on five-year old me - well, that same person was particularly
vile toward a girl in my class, who, because she had had polio, wore callipers
on her legs, greatly limiting her mobility. She was always the one told to pick
anything that had fallen to the floor - even if the teacher herself had dropped
it. When she inevitably fell,  trying to pick the object up, the teacher would
say "Typical. Where's the asylum when you want it?" She would then throw the
blackboard duster, which, as you know, was a wooden block with a sponge
attached, at the girl, saying, "Catch!"
Of course, the girl couldn't catch it - if she tried, she would have
over-balanced again; so the duster hit her, usually on the chest, but sometimes
on her head.

     I'm extremely grateful that she was the only example of her kind, as, had
other teachers who taught me been of her ilk, I doubt I'd have been interested
in making the effort to learn.