[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] news prisons nearly full

  • From: "m harris" <catherineharris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide chat list" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 12:20:44 -0000

Well, I think if they would bring back the death penalty, that would fix that.
Cathie

Prisons nearly full: Government
(UKPA) ? 1 hour ago
Prisons in England and Wales are nearly full, the Ministry of Justice has said.
Last summer's riots prompted a "significant rise" in people sent to jail. New
figures show the total number of inmates was 87,668 - filling prisons to 98.1%
capacity.
Some 407 prisoners were put behind bars in the past week.
The MoJ said the "usable operational capacity" is 89,399, just 1,731 above the
current population.
However, there have been no places activated under their contingency plan
Operation Safeguard, when prisoners are held in cells at police stations and
courts if numbers are at breaking point.
According to the MoJ, two new prisons due to open this year should ease the
strain.
A Prison Service spokesperson said: "We have seen a significant rise in the
prison population since the summer, with very strong rises following the public
disorder.
"Managing the increase in the population is challenging but we have been
continually developing contingencies to manage the additional population.
"We currently have enough prison places for those being remanded and sentenced
to custody. Capacity will continue to increase throughout 2012 with the opening
of two new prisons from March. We will continue to explore contingencies
arrangements should further pressure be placed on the prison estate."
The highest published figure was 88,179 on Friday December 2 2011.

`
from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123