[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] news here is why tesco will not honour 49.99 ipads

  • From: "Faye, Cathie, and Mike!" <catherineharris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide chat list" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:11:04 -0000

Oh, what a booboo!
I'm glad I didn't try to get it.
Cathie

-----Original Message-----
From: vanessa - Email Address: qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx
Sent On: 14/03/2012 13:01
Sent To: GUIDE CHAT - Email Address: guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [guide.chat] news here is why tesco will not honour 49.99 ipads

Tesco won't honour £50 new iPad sales, and here's why
14 March 2012, 12:02pm

A glitch on Tesco's website yesterday saw Apple's as-yet-unreleased new iPad on
sale for the mouth-watering price of £49.99. The listing was for the 64GB Wi-Fi
plus 4G version, which will actually cost £659 when it goes on sale this Friday.

Many people snapped up Tesco's accidental offer, but it was too good to be
true, and now the supermarket has told the BBC that it won't be honouring the
delicious deal.

"We like to offer our customers unbeatable value, but unfortunately this is an
IT error that is currently being corrected," said a company spokesman. The
chain's terms and conditions state, "If, by mistake, we have under-priced an
item, we will not be liable to supply that item to you at the stated price,
provided that we notify you before we despatch the item to you.

"In those circumstances, we will notify the correct price to you so you can
decide whether or not you wish to order the item at that price."

If, when Tesco offers you the option, you decide you don't want to splash out
the proper price for the new iPad, the shop will refund anything you've paid.

Sad news for bargain hunters. But this isn't the first time we've seen a
retailer wriggle out of honouring an accidental deal. When Argos mistakenly
flogged the Nokia Lumia 800 for £120, the catalogue company didn't honour that
deal either.

As a post on consumer blog Bitterwallet elucidates, offering something for sale
at a certain price legally counts as an 'invitation to treat' and not an 'offer
to sell'. In fact, even if you've paid money, no contract has been formed --
that only happens once the retailer actually dispatches the item.
from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123