[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] guide.chat - the good old days

  • From: "JunePorter" <june.porter9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lyn Rudge" <b00kworm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:17:18 -0000

Hi Lynn
Well we didn't have cocoa, but when they made rice pudding there was an awful
skin on it which I didn't like.
We didn't have a tin bath, or, at least not to my recollection, but I do
remember the big boiler in the back kitchen and mam scrubbing the washing and
using a bloomin' big mangle which made a hell of a racket, and as we lived at
the top of the stairs,  you could hear, it, plus a noisy hot water tank.
Do you remember the old pulleys they used to use and they made an awful
screeching sound when clothes were being put on them. I think sheets and towels
were  put on to the one we had.
We also had an outside toilet, and used to use newspaper cut into squares as
Carol said in a former email.
We had an old pot sink, not like the ones of today in the back kitchen, and a
lovely coal fire in the front room. We also had a fireplace in some of the
bedrooms upstairs.
 We didn't have much money in those days, but could appreciate the little
things in life.
from June.