[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] did any of you do this.

  • From: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 23:12:15 -0000

Hi June, Yep I remember it all. I remember the rack and its squeekes. Our fire
heated the water and the back to back oven to do the cooking in untill we got a
gas oven.They were hard years but good happy ones as I remember.

Love Malcolm. xxx.

Hi Malcolm
Yes, I well remember those days, but don't remember going for coal off the
railway lines, but I do remember my parents using newspaper on a shovel to get
the fire going. I think we burnt whatever was no use to us if we ran out of
coal. Our coal fire used to heat up the water as well, and Mam would dry
clothes in front of the fire and we had a pulley which made a loud squeaking
noise when clothes were being hung.
As to the chip butty, yes, I do like a chip butty now and again, and I well
remember my mam taking some of my brothers  and sisters to Blackpool and her
saying to them "no making chip butties in the cafe."
Well, talking of chip butties has made me hungry so I'll have to see if the
shepherd's pie has warmed up.
from
June.
-----