[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] Those good old days ha ha4©

  • From: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 22:04:04 -0000

Vanessa, I bet you had to walk to school in all weathers including snow. Not
like now, bit of snow and shut the school.

Malcolm. xxx.

June, like you I was bought up in the 60's, we were quite poor but didn't know
any different so life was hard work but fun, my parents didn't drive so we
walked or cycled every where which kept us fit, we lived in a small village
about 3 miles north of town , school was 1.5 miles from home so had to walk
there every day, it was along country lanes so was a beautiful but lonely walk
in all weathers, the allotment was on the way so met my mum there on the way
home to get the veg and spuds for tea, we made all of our own bread and cakes
as it was cheaper and we had a big Aga fire with an oven and hot plate on the
top for our pans, we didn't have a bathroom in the house until 1969 so had to
bath in a metal tub in front of the sitting room fire, we had to heat the water
in an old kitchen boiler and then put a pan under the boiler tap to get the
water into the tub, also had an outside toilet so things were basic, we got our
house done up by the council in 1969 so had the loo and bathroom put in then,
this was luxury ha ha but they took away our aga so had to learn how to use an
electric cooker as we didn't get gas to our village until 1995, so much for the
south of England being thought of as a rich area, not the bit where I came from
any way, I bought my kids up in the house next door to my childhood home and
they couldn't believe how we used to live, at the time they went to the same
primary school as I had gone to, we still had to walk as although I could drive
my husband had the car for work every day but it kept me fit ha ha, life was
hard but do think it made us independant and having very little cash it helped
me never take things for granted and will still  want to get a bargain, take
care for now, Vanessa x x

-----