[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] Re: Adventures

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide Chat List" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:01:54 +0100

Wow david your very brave there

i am just scared climbing on to few steps high hahahahahaha Oh got goose
pimples raeding that wow

From: David L. Bailey - Email Address: baileydavidl62@xxxxxxxxx
Sent On: 30/06/2011 22:54
Sent To: guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Email Address: guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [guide.chat] Re: Adventures

Hi Malcolm,

Before being blind I love rock climbing and rappelling.  A buddy came by
about a year after I lost my sight not knowing to invite me and I said cool
lets go.  I had always wanted to rappel at devils rocking chair.  This
particular place is a real treat for those of us who tie off and jump off of
perfectly good mountains.  400 foot sheer cliff face.  Well when we got
there we rigged topside together with him checking the knots behind me.  He
then says you first or me?  I said here let me check something real quick.
I went over to the rope and clipped on and yelled turn and burn and bailed
off the top of the cliff face.  I went down in about 10 seconds or roughly
perfect acceleration due to gravitation.  He clocked himself at a half
second slower.  He told me I was still wild as ever and crazy to boot.  It
was great fun, a real adrenalin rush.  I was proud as this was something
most sighted people will not attempt.  I also have done one jump with former
buddies since going blind.  Landed in the limbs of a large oak tree and had
to free fall about twenty feet after climbing up lines to limb and folding
chute to prevent damage.  That one was probably a little dangerous but hey
I've always said I'll take quality of life over quantity.  When we don't do
things because of fear we die a little each time.  This was more exciting
than any of the ninety some odd jumps I made while in the airborne, no sight
just adds a whole new dimension of excitement.  I am considering giving
myself a fiftieth birthday present in 2012 and finding a sensei and going
back into the ring for sparring and competition, if I can get back into
shape for that.  Today, rappelling and skydiving, a little martial arts, and
tomorrow who knows?  I rather die trying than run and hide out of fear, the
only thing to be feared is fear itself!  To quote, a wise old teacher; Fear
not for fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark
side, and the dark side leads to destruction!  (Yoda, The Empire Strikes
back)  Think about it, it is true.  The hatred and atrocities exhibited by
so many stem from lack of knowledge and the fear this causes.

May the force be with you,
David L. Bailey
baileydavidl62@xxxxxxxxx