[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] Is It over

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jan" <j.jk.downes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "chat guide" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 22:32:27 +0100

Hi, Jan;
I'm with you there.
When my mobility was much better than it is now, I used to love hiking. I did
it as a Boys Brigade Boy, and later, officer. We have a wealth of great hill
walking territory here, the Lowther Hills, Leadhills, Sanquahar fells, and the
moors surrounding my town, stretching through Muirkirk right into Lanarkshire
and the Douglas valley.
I used to love getting the hiking gear on, and pitching a two-man tent whenever
we felt tired -always with the local farmer's permission, or, if we were in the
midst of a hilly area, by a burn where we drank from the mountain streams and
guddled trout, which, after a quick gut with a Swiss Army knife - the blind
person's best friend - were spitted over a pine wood fire and cooked.
Absolutely unbeatable!
Nowadays, I can't walk in the countryside - I've never found a long cane which
could stand the punishment - so I'm confined to country roads and paths, and
local farm tracks.
Luckily I know them very well, and can let my cane do the work as I use my nose
and ears to 'feel' what the countryside is doing at any particular time of year.