[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] Clare

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Dazzling Darren" <"darren.Ԩsunjay72"@virginmedia.com>, "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>, "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 09:55:41 +0100

Darren;
I suppose I could translate it for you, but like a lot of classic Scots and
Burns, it doesn't scan well in English.
It sounds great, though. I know it's on you tube somewhere, and the tune is
very haunting; the title of the tune is "The bloody fields of Flanders".
I have a fair few singers using the song in my collection; my top two are by
Dick Gaughan - I know that one is on you tube, and the other, a brilliantly
haunting version by Isla St Clair...possibly better known to most of you as
Larry Grayson's sidekick in the Generation game, but a beautiful singer from
her early days in the Aberdeen folk scene in the sixties, till the present day.
Henderson was an officer in the 51st Highland Division in the second world war
battles in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. Sickened by the violence, he wrote
many anti-war songs , and poems, not only in Scots, but English.
He, along with several others, also collected songs from the traveller
community and the last of the old-style farming towns of Scotland in the
1950's, saving them for others to play, and starting the revival in Scots Folk
music.
He also founded the school of Scottish studies.