[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] In Reply To: In Reply To: Bygone days

  • From: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:40:05 +0100

Good morning Elizabeth, Bolton, that takes me back. I worked on a lot of cotton
mills there. Replacing the wooden floors which were drenched in oil. Mucky job.
We had to do it while the looms were still working. Hot work to.

love Malcolm. xxx

Thanks Malcolm, I enjoyed that. It reminded me of songs my grandfather used to
sing. He was a member of a Pigeon Club and used to entertain at social
gatherings of members but he sang them for us as well.He played an accordian
and could do clog daancing. When he went for a walk through the fields we could
hear him from miles away yodelling at the top of his voice.He was a master
spinner when Bolton was a cotton town, a  real old Lancashire character He
lived to be over ninety and would be about 165 years old now! Food for thought.
Thanks again. Elizabeth

From: M BOWKER - Email Address: bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent On: 22/09/2012 23:41
Sent To: Guide Chat - Email Address: guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [guide.chat] In Reply To: Bygone days

Elizabeth, do you remember the song. "  In Bare Foot Days. "

love Malcolm. xxx

Thanks Malcolm and Dawn and James for sharing thoughts and feelings about past
tines.My only experience of children playing out is hearing them playing
football inthe back street. I live in a small terraced house with a back yard
that I have made into a patio garden with shrubs and flowers in pots and tubs.
I am not pleased when a knock comes to the front door and a small child pipes
up "My ball has gone in your yard"I never chastise them even though I have to
let them come through the house to find it themselves. Afterall they have to
play sonewhere and they do not have the freedom we had,but I wish the could
enjoy playing ganes that did not  cause this inconvenience.

Walking home from school my brother and I used to keep looking over our
shoulders to see if Johnny Hodgkiss was coming. Johnny was a farmer who
delivered milk with a horse and milk float. If he happened to br returning from
 his round at the same time that we were going home from school for our
dinner,he would stop and let us climb in. Otherwise we had about a mile to
walk. The  walk wa really no hardship though, we hardly noticed it. Children
could not expect to be ferried around in those days, no cars and no buses we
just had to walk. Trams at the Four Lane Ends terminus, about two miles away
,would take us to town but that wa a major expedition. My father once took me
to the doctor's surgery with a bad cut on my forehead, on the crossbar of his
bicycle.  This was in the 1920's.
I wonder what today's children will talk about  when their time comes? I
imagine technology will have replaced computors and mobile phones as we know
them so they willbe able to reminisce about how things uded to be when they
were young!   Elizabeth