[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] In Reply To: Tam o Shanter link.

  • From: "Elizabeth Kay" <ebeth.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide.chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 15:19:15 +0100

It woul be interesting to have the links you mention James but only if youcan
help  retrieve them. I am not very good with web sites.
Elizabeth
From: Elizabeth Kay - Email Address: ebeth.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent On: 09/10/2012 12:35
Sent To: James Liddell - Email Address: james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi James,
Your emails sent last Friday sparked off happy memories for me as I organised a
Burns tour for myself and my husband when we were in our early forties. He
wasn't much interested in poetry but was quite happy to spend a holidaay
exploring that part of Scotland. We started in Moffat and then enjoyed some
wonderful views as we travelled across the hills to Ayr.  Later on we travelled
south again to Dumfries before driving home.
I was insppired to plan this trip after reading, on the rscommendation of a
Scots friend, a series of novels based on the life of Robert Burns . The
author's surname name wa Graves (first name escapes me). They must have been
reprinted because I have observed them in the RNIB catalogue.
The firsr one was "The Wind That Shakes The Barley".The second was "The Song In
The Green Thorn Tree" and the third "On The Crest Of A Broken Wave". I have a
feeling there was another but if there was I cannot remember the title, it is
fifty years ago. The novels told of the hardships of Burns life on his father's
farm,his many love affairs, described not as fornication but as relationships
that inspired his love poems, and the many other expeirnces of his life many of
them leding to expression in poetry as with "Holy Willy's Prayer.
This led me to buying a book of Burns poems, one or two of the shorter ones I
learned off ny heart. I translated "Tam O'Shanter" into a Scots/English version
when I used it to read aloud.

I drove a car in those days so it was not too difficult to travel around
finding locations mentoned in the novels including Mauchlin and Burns' birth
place. I stood om the Brig O'Doon and we had lunch in Burns' pub. This I have
visited again on a more recent coach tour but was disappointed as there was no
room inthe pub. My friend and I had to have lunch in an  extension.
I have retained an affection for Burn's poetry ever since. I feel it is in a
cstegory all its own needing to be appreciated as such. Wordsworth is our local
poetic genius and I find much in his philosophy of life that accords with my
way of thinking, but I enjoy all poetry and regret that my lossof vision has
denied me the pleasure of reading. Reading a computor screen is not the same
and niether is just listening, but I have ny nenories.  Best wishes form Liz.
From: Elizabeth Kay - Email Address: ebeth.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent On: 06/10/2012 09:56
Sent To: James Liddell - Email Address: james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: In Reply To: [guide.chat] Tam o Shanter link.

James,I have just read your last email and there is much that I find
interesting and wish to respond to but I shall not have time today as if is my
youngest  great- grand- child's first birthday and my som and daughter-in-law
will be collecting me shortly to go to her birthday party lunch. I have bought
her a small cuddly teddy bear that plays Brahms Lullaby when you pull its bob
tail!
Tomorrow I need to finish off my words and music programme but I want to
contiue our chat about Robert Burns and poetry in general. Back soon. Elizabeth
From: Elizabeth Kay - Email Address: ebeth.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent On: 05/10/2012 16:49
Sent To: James Liddell - Email Address: james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have just listened to the link of Tam O'Shanter with music Thankyou very much
I wish I had a cd of this to play when I present my programme. I have long been
familiar with the poem and have read it aloud when I was able to read from a
book (albeit with a Lancashire accent). I have written a transcription of the
storyto read before I play the music but it would be so much better if I could
play this version. The music is a bit loud but I enjoyed hearing the poem read
as it should be. Thanks again.  Elizabeth