[guide.chat] In Reply To: Visiting.

  • From: "Dawn Watson" <dawnyhen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 18:16:36 +0100

Jim,
What a lovely and rewarding story. Firstly your perseverance has paid off,
Secondly who would have imagined that 15 years later you would have heard from
her. And thirdly she would be working as a Staff Nurse in Malawi,and that you
hope to visit next year and, hopefully , meet her again. I hope all goes
well.Best wishes and safe travels Dawn.

Hi, Dawn;
Thanks.
Yes, I do enjoy the visiting side of being an elder. I don't regard it as a
chore or as a duty, but I look forward to it. I've visited another three houses
today; only seven more to go!

     I'm lucky, in that my district is closer to the street to which I moved
two years ago, and, since I've been walking in that area for most of my life,
all the kerbs, paths and gates are familiar to me, so navigating the area isn't
a problem. Actually, I think many residents look forward to having a blind
visitor; after all, I can't see what state the house is in.

      There was one house I used to visit as part of my duties. The mother was
a Church member, but she was sadly going senile. She was eventually better off
in residential care. I kept up visiting, however, as her daughter remained in
the house, and she was a drug addict. She was never violent, but the state of
both her health and the house deteriorated over the next few years. I don't
believe in in-your-face evangelism, but a quiet word amid talking about
everything from Coronation Street to hip-hop music (which I HATE), must have
worked. After a lot of effort, we got her into a Church run rehab unit, where
she gradually came off heroin. I lost touch with her then, as she remained in a
flat near the rehab unit in Edinburgh.

Imagine my joy last year when I heard from her for the first time in fifteen
years....

She is a staff nurse with a medical mission in Malawi, Africa! I'm hopefully
going to Malawi next year as part of a Presbytery mission to our twin
presbytery in Bandawe, Malawi, so I really want to meet up with her there.