[guide.chat] In Reply To: In Reply To: fires and ovens

  • From: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:21:39 +0100

Vanessa when you think about it the fire was the main part of life then, It
gave you warmth, hot water, cooking your food, getting rid of rubbish and used
in your garden, And in the winter when it was icey  we put the ashes down so we
could walk on the ice.
So no fire no food, heat or water.

love Malcolm. xxx

and drawing the fire with newspaper and it would catch fire and fly up the
chimney, dampen the small dust so it would stay low until morning and put
potato peelings on the back, my nan made me clean her fire grate with zeebra
too, all the ashes had to be sifted and went in her cats litter tray, fat
spoilt cat he was, she fed him on rabbit from the butchers, cut it into eight
parts with the axe and boil it in a big saucepan, when he was eating it, you
could hear the bones cracking, yuck.
vanessa.

From: M BOWKER - Email Address: bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent On: 12/09/2012 22:58
Sent To: Guide Chat - Email Address: guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [guide.chat] In Reply To: fires and ovens

Yep the same for us Jim, Warm in the living room but freezing  every where else
in the house. frost on the inside of the windows. If we couldn't afford coal we
had to burn whatever we could get hold off. Jim do you remember tieing news
paper into knots to make it burn slower while the coal got  alight.

Malcolm. xxx

I used to love the coal fire.
The warmth you got from that was so unlike gas or electric.
Mind you, kindling the thing in the morning was murder when the wind was
blowing the wrong way!
I loved the constant hot water - sometimes boiling hot, so hot that steam came
from the tap rather than water.
Because dad was a miner, and the pits were nationalised in the post war era, we
had concessionary coal, which was granted to the widows of miners as well. The
result was a constantly hot fire in the living room - but no central heating
anywhere else, so the rest of the house was freezing in winter - from October
to April.