[guide.chat] In Reply To: Hoola hoops

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Elizabeth Kay" <ebeth.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Guide.chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 22:56:16 +0100

Hi, Elizabeth;
We called the hoop and stick thing a "gird and Kleek" - though it served the
same purpose! If you have RNIB Talking books, order "Shoes were for Sunday" the
first in the autobiography series by the late Scots Actress Molly Weir - of
ITMA fame. You'll find reminiscing galore there.
Of course we used marbles - or 'Jawries' as we called them. And what you
Sassenachs called Hopscotch we called 'Peevers'. Leap-frog became, for us
'hunch cuddy hunch' - and we played those games till the lights came on at
night; in this neck of the woods that could be 11.15pm in July!.
Like you, I despair of the computer generation. When we went Boys Brigade camps
in the summer, we had the hours of 5:30-10:00 at night to ourselves, and we'd
amuse ourselves, coming back to camp at approximately 09:59!
Even as an officer, I noticed the Boys seeming to be able to spend less and
less time away from camp on their own..."We're fed up" became, over the years,
all to familiar.
The last camp was the final straw. After half an hour's free time on a burning
hot summer's night, most Boys were back in camp...playing their portable
computer games.
It worries me when there appears to be a growing lack of imagination among
young people.