[guide.chat] In Reply To: Good morning all

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>, "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 09:27:50 -0000

Hi, Carol.
If the rest of the forum will forgive me, I'll be serious - for once.
First: baptism does not make you a Christian.
It is a sign, a symbol of repentance for forgiven sins.
Many churches practice infant baptism; if those who are so baptised are OK with
that, I wouldn't criticise them.
I was baptised as an infant. However, as a teenager, I was atheist.
When I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Saviour (and THAT's what makes you a
Christian), I felt the need to experience baptism for myself. My minister - and
friend - wasn't really comfortable with that, but when I told him my feelings
were sincere, he understood.
So, in 1981, as a twenty-one year old, I rejected my infant baptism and went
through a 'believer's baptism' - total immersion - at a local Church.
I thought it was a wonderful, life affirming decision.
I've never regretted it.
Again, though, if one is happy having been 'done' as an infant, then that's
fine.
It doesn't really mean anything, though, unless you take the step of faith on
your own and give yourself to Christ.
All the churchgoing, communion and Bible reading don't make a bean's worth of
difference unless that step is taken.

If you want to know more, I'll email you personally, or skype you, as I know
some posters aren't comfortable with the subject.