[guide.chat] In Reply To: FIREWORKS!!!!!

  • From: "John Keel" <j.keel1428@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 01:06:47 +0100

Hi James,
Sorry about your unfortunate experience with Yobs and fireworks. I can well
understand how you feel. They are also a problem for Guide Dog owners or any
dog owner for that matter. Personally, I would ban the sale of fireworks to the
public and restrict them to official displays and organised events run by
responsible people.
The advice I would give to dog owners is to close all windows and curtains, and
play the radio or TV a little louder than usual. Keep the animal close to you,
making reassuring sounds to provide comfort. If the dog is still terrified,
vets can provide a tranquilizer but guide dog owners should be very careful and
not try to work their dogs for at least 8 hours after administering.
John