[guide.chat] In Reply To: Book talk

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Elizabeth Kay" <ebeth.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Guide.chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 19:50:45 +0100

Elizabeth;
I don't know how bad your macular degeneration is, but have you ever heard of
an Ezee Reader? It's a camera which plugs into a standard TV set and greatly
magnifies the print, or turns it into a negative. It's the cheaper alternative
to CCTV, and is very simple to use. I use it to read print - very slowly - but,
sad to say, it doesn't work on comics...believe me, I've tried.

     As far as school went, it seemed to me that, in Higher English, they
over-examined the books, pulling them apart and losing, for me, the enjoyment
of reading.
I'm glad I discovered Tolkien, Lewis, Lewis Grassic Gibbon (Scots Quair) Nigel
Tranter, George Douglas Brown and the classics for myself without the
dissection involved in studying them.
I'm also grateful that we never destroyed poets like McHaig, Ramsay, McDairmid,
Hogg, Burns and Lockhead...that means I now have an active interest in Scots
literature and poetry, to the extent of writing a few poems myself.