[guide.chat] Forwarded Email: B-F Please Smile!

  • From: "Si Watson" <mrsvilla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 19:49:45 +0100

Subject: B-F Please Smile!

From the June edition of the "Adverts 4 U" in Kimberley, South Africa,
<outbind://1/www.adverts4u.co.za> www.adverts4u.co.za

There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in

pineapple.... English muffins were not invented in England or French fries

in

France. Sweetmeats are candies, while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are

meat. We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find

that

quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, and a guinea pig is

neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write, but

fingers

don't fing, grocers don't groce, and hammers don't ham? If the plural of

tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So,
one

moose, 2 meese? One index, two indices? Is cheese the plural of choose? If

teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats

vegetables,

what does a humanitarian eat? In what language do people recite at a play,

and play at a recital? Ship by truck, and send cargo by ship? Have noses

that

run and feet that smell? Park on driveways and drive on parkways? How can a

slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy

are

opposites? How can the weather be hot as hell one day and cold as hell

another? When a house burns up, it burns down. You fill in a form by filling
it

out, and an alarm clock goes off by going on. When the stars are out, they

are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible. And why, when

I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I end it?

database 6174 (20110602) __________

 <http://www.eset.com/> http://www.eset.com

-----

-----