[guide.chat] Duchess of Cambridge Jubilee tour

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 08:33:44 -0000

Duchess of Cambridge to join Queen on Leicester jubilee visit.
The Queen De Montfort University said it was an honour to have been chosen to
mark the start of the royal tour
The Diamond Jubilee.
The Duchess of Cambridge will join the Queen as she begins her Diamond Jubilee
tour of the UK next month.
Catherine, the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh will visit De Montfort University
(DMU) on 8 March on a tour of England, Wales and Scotland.
Dominic Shellard, vice chancellor of DMU, said it was an honour for the
university to have been chosen to mark the start of the royal tour.
He said "I have no doubt memories of this occasion will be cherished."
Mr Shellard added: "The excitement and anticipation felt around our campus
since this visit was announced is a measure of the great affection our students
and staff have for the Queen. Celebrating diversity
After meeting staff at the university, the tour will begin with a performance
by students and community groups celebrating the city's diversity in Magazine
Square.
The Queen and duchess will then watch a fashion show by students, while the
duke meets representatives of the university's Square Mile initiative, which
helps local community projects.
The royal party will then be presented with gifts to commemorate their visit,
before the Queen is asked to unveil a commemorative plaque in Magazine Square.
The Queen will also attend a service at Leicester Cathedral, where she will
meet the Right Reverend Tim Stevens, the Bishop of Leicester, before visiting
the Haymarket Memorial Clock Tower, where she will be welcomed by city mayor
Sir Peter Soulsby.
She will return to the East Midlands for an appearance in Nottingham on 13
June, with the tour due to finish on 25 July in the south east of England.