[guide.chat] Donkey day

  • From: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 21:14:36 +0100

Today , I went on the monthly walk with the blind club which is normally a walk
in the big parks, Usually about two miles long. I usually get there about 1 pm
and home by 4 pm. That is the background.

This is the Donkey day. I got up nice an early so I could get myself ready at a
nice slow speed. I am expecting a phone call from my volunteer as to when he
will pick me up in his car. 11 am. and sure enough it should have been my
driver. But no. It was Vikki the one that organise  the day out. Good morning
Malcolm, its Vikki, your driver has gone off sick. So I will organise a taxi to
pick you up at 1 am. OK. One came and went, twenty past and I am getting
worried now because if the taxi comes at half past one the group were meeting
in the car park. What do I do if they drop me on my own and there's no one
there what do I do.No sight, no legs, just sat there in a wheel chair. Should I
go or cancel. Door bell rings so to late to cancel. So of I go in the taxi and
45 minutes later I'm in the car park. Thank goodness  they were all there
waiting for me.

So off we go into the building and the first donkey I came to was Molly. 22
years old and going blind. She was lovely and stood about 4 foot high with big
very satin like ears. The rest of her was longish hair but again very soft to
the touch. I spent about 10  minutes with her and then moved on to the next
one. Abit bigger and soft hair .I think it was called Brian. Then we went into
the arena part and we were given a cup of tea or coffee. So now it was getting
interesting because none of us new what to expect next. Then the music started
in the background and the donkeys came in with trailers fasten to them with two
young children in them. All these children have all kinds of disability's. They
sat in the back facing backwards  while the girls who work there played ball
games etc with them. While this was going on the woman was telling us that the
children like the donkeys and they learn things like balance and   other
things. And she went on to say that some children come and when there with the
donkeys  they speak   to the donkeys were they won't speak to people. When that
finished the children went of some where else and they took us into the arena
to stroke and meet all the donkeys. This big one called Barney came straight to
me and buried his head into my body. Don't forget I'm sat in a wheel chair, so
his face was on line with mine. Well we cuddled and stroked each other. The
girls said he really liked me because he won't do that normally. So they said I
must be a horse whispera. By this time it was five pm. and we were wondering
about going home as we don't normally stay that late. So now the girls take us
into another room that is fitted out with tables and chairs and real table
clothes on the tables. What's happening now were saying to each other.. Then
this lady came in and said to us. Thank you all for coming today. Thank you for
your donation of one hundred pounds, and we got a clap. Then she said. Molly
has retired today  because she is going blind. and is going to the donkey
sanctuary. in Sid mouth to spend the rest of her days in comfort. Sid mouth in
Devon. So she is having a  good bye party and she has invited you all to share
it with her. At this point Molly was brought in and a small table was place in
front of her and a big cake was put before her. She very papperly ate it all
up. It eeithen  had her picture on it made out of icing I think.  She enjoyed
it. It was not cake as such, it was made of what donkeys eat.. She had
photographs taken with us for there magazine and ours.

Then Molly was taken out and in came a finger buffet. All kinds of food and
trifles after. Lovely, that saves me cooking tonight.

After all our thanks and goodbyes I got home at ten to seven. One of the best
days I've had out in ages.
love Malcolm. xxxx.

 Cheshire,

skype name,