[guide.chat] Classisical Music

  • From: "Elizabeth Kay" <ebeth.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide.chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:43:42 -0000

Hi John and James,  Interested to evesdrop on your chat about music. Classical
music has been one of my reasons for living for the past 65 years (ever since
listening to radio broadcasts of the Proms in 1947). I joined the Bolton
Gramophone Society to meet and  share my love of classical music with other
music lovers and have continued to be a member ever since, except that we now
call ourselves The Recorded Music Society and are much depleted in numbers. We
meet weekly with a short break mid-winter to arrange and present programmes to
one another, sometimes in cocert form or by chosing music  to illustrate a
theme.
I have a feeling John Is not a Society friendly person but I have found that
sharing an interest with like minded friends adds zest to life.

Unlike the two of you I love opera whether or not it is light or grand. There
is not one single opera that I listen to that does not cotain solo arias,duets
or a quartette of outstanding beauty. The glotious blending of voices, as for
example in the love duet that comes right at the end of Richard Strauss' "Der
Rosencavalier," gives me a few moments of sublime musical pleasure.

I am not a philestine where other kinds of music are concered but to ne this is
just entertainment. Classical music provides food for the soul.  Elizabeth