[guide.chat] British heather watson of tennis

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 18:25:02 +0100

Heather Watson beat Jamie Lee Hampton of the United States 6-1 6-4 to become
the first British woman to reach the Wimbledon third round since 2002.
Watson, who had never progressed further than the second round at a Grand Slam,
won the first five games to take control of the match on Court Two.
Image of Jo Durie Jo Durie Former world number five and BBC tennis analyst
"I love the way Heather goes about her tennis, you can't help but watch her
with a smile. She realised last year she had to improve, now she realises she
has to take more risks. In the women's game you have to be aggressive at times.
She likes to play on Centre Court and that's the sort of stage she needs."
The 20-year-old from Guernsey will play either third seed Agnieszka Radwanska
or Elena Vesnina next.
The last British woman to reach the third round was Elena Baltacha.
On day one, Watson, ranked 103 in the world,  to become the first British woman
since Jo Durie in 1985 to win a match on Centre Court.
"People might say on paper it was a good draw, but she made it hard for me and
wasn't giving me anything," the British number four told BBC Sport.
"I don't think Jamie was at her best at the beginning and I tried to take
advantage of that.
"All I was saying to myself [on match-point] was 'don't double-fault', but I
stayed calm and stayed focused and knew I had to go for it."
Match stats.
Watson Hampton
Fastest serve
First serves
Double faults
Unforced errors
Break points
Net pts
Watson went into the match ranked three places lower than her opponent but
looked a class above in the first set.
Hampton, perhaps overwhelmed by the extra attention on Court Two, was broken in
her first service game and lost the first set in only 28 minutes.
The American gave a better account of herself in the second set but Watson
converted her second match-point to advance.
Watson will now seek to become the first British woman to reach the last 16
since Sam Smith in 1998 and believes she is playing well.
"I always knew I could play this well, I could get far in these tournaments,
but it's different playing like that in practice than bringing it onto the
match court at big occasions with pressure.
"So I'm just pleased that it's finally clicking for me."
Jamie Baker resumes his singles match against Andy Roddick later on Wednesday
while Andy Murray, James Ward, Anne Keothavong and Elena Baltacha will all play
their second-round matches on Thursday.
Meanwhile, Britain's Dominic Inglot and his playing partner Treat Conrad Huey
from the Philippines went out in the first round of the men's doubles to
Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram 4-6 6-3 2-6 7-6 (8-6) 9-7.