[guide.chat] Andy murray beat Maren Ciliic today

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 18:09:24 +0100

"Murray came out with a sense of urgency today. He's had problems with Cilic
before, so to serve the way he did was impressive. He was comfortable, even
though Cilic played a pretty good final set. Murray had some scary moments
against Marcos Baghdatis, when he lost his cool. I was looking for that today,
but with the players going off and on, there wasn't really the chance for him
to get worn down mentally. But he still had to come on and be ready, and he did
that very, very well."
They re-started at 13:10 and Murray won 7-5 6-2 6-3 to set up a tie with David
Ferrer, who beat Juan Martin del Potro.
"It's quite a tough match to analyse because it was very bitty," the British
number one told BBC Sport. "We were on and off the court.
"Last night was difficult. I was in a good position. Cilic started well today -
he was hitting the ball cleaner. But I served well in the third set especially.
"It was a good experience because I haven't had too many rain delays at
Wimbledon and I haven't always done that well when I have had them."
The Scot must be relieved to have wrapped up proceedings so quickly - they
finished at 14:10 in two hours 10 minutes of match play - given that his
last-eight tie will be played on Wednesday.
With more showers expected later, there was a strong chance Murray could have
been delayed further, while Ferrer and Del Potro were under the Centre Court
roof and, therefore, guaranteed to finish.
The decision to schedule him on a roofless Court One - for the only time all
fortnight when the weather forecast was poor -
"I honestly don't care which court I play on," Murray added. "It makes no
difference, but every player would rather play on Centre Court because it's got
the roof, so you know you will get your match in.
Match stats.
Murray Cilic
First serves
First serve points won
Second serve points won
Double faults
Unforced errors
Break points
Total pts won
"But I don't deserve to play every match on Centre Court. I'm more than happy
to play on Court One. I just wish the weather was a bit better.
"It's tough but a good experience. I don't want to say for sure, but I'll
probably be on Centre from now on, so I don't have to worry about that."
Murray led Cilic 7-5 3-1 at 40-0 when the rain arrived on Monday, frustrating
for him as  - the only higher-ranked players left in the draw - completed their
games to go through.
But, if anything, his form was more impressive on Tuesday as he subjected  to a
comprehensive defeat.
After moving to 5-2 in the second set, Murray wrapped it up with the help of a
magnificent inside-out forehand winner.
He was moving smoothly, serving well and defending aggressively - as shown when
he saved four break points early in the third set.
Cilic, seeded 16th, was cutting an increasingly forlorn figure as his
groundstrokes let him down time and again.
A confident forehand pass saw Murray break for 3-1 and apply more pressure in
game five, only for his opponent to hold firm.
However, Murray was in a hurry and a succession of aces took him to match point