[guide.chat] Andy is now ready for match title today

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 09:30:56 +0100

Wimbledon 2012: The road to the men's final
8 July 2012 Last updated at 06:20
Andy Murray Wimbledon column: I'm ready for the final hurdle. By Andy Murray
British number one
Venue: All England Club, London
Date: 25 June - 8 July
Coverage: Live on BBC One, BBC Two, BBC HD Channel, red button, BBC Radio 5
live, mobiles, tablet and the BBC Sport website
Knowing I am through to the final of Wimbledon fills me with so many emotions,
but all of that will count for nothing unless I come away with the title.
The only thing I can afford to focus on is my game and Roger Federer. He is a
player I've beaten in the past, and I can do it again.
My coach Ivan Lendl and hitting partner Dani Vallverdu will sit down to study
his matches so far this fortnight and some of my previous meetings with him,
then we'll talk tactics.
Wimbledon 2012 match stats.
Murray Federer
Unforced errors
Double faults
Ave % 1st serves in
Ave % pts won on 1st serve
Ave % pts won on 2nd serve
I don't like watching my matches back - things change very quickly in tennis
and you have to look forward - but I will reflect on what I've done well
against Roger in the past and certain performances at the latter stages of
Grand Slams.
He is arguably the best player of all time. There are a few guys who have a
decent claim, but I'd say Roger and Pete Sampras. Sunday will be a great
challenge and one that excites me.
Although it's  I was in this position at the 2008 US Open and the Australian
Open in 2010 and 2011. I know how it's going to feel and although there will be
nerves, I know how to deal with them and use it as a positive.
Of those finals,  was the most painful, and it's one of the factors motivating
me to lift the trophy this time round.
Since  and decided I wanted to become a professional tennis player, these are
the moments I've spent every day working towards.
I moved away from my family at the age of 15, lived and trained in another
country. I had to do that to get where I am today, challenging for the sport's
biggest prizes.
Moment Murray ends GB's 74-year wait
It hasn't been an easy journey and after beating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the
semi-finals on Friday I was quite emotional.
Before doing my post-match interview I went to the bathroom and just sat there,
splashed water over my face and calmed myself down. My attention then switched
to the final.
When you make it to this stage of a tournament it can be easy to get
distracted, but I've kept things as normal as possible. A spot of practice,
plenty of physio, chats with my team and walks with the dogs.
On Sunday I'll wake up at around 9am, have some breakfast, make my way in and
warm up for the last time before packing my bags in the locker room and
changing into match kit.
Eventually, the wait will be over. The one thing I can guarantee is that I'll
fight my absolute heart out. I need to give everything I have from the first
point to the last.
Roger won the the  at Wimbledon in 2003. I was playing in the juniors that
year, hoping one day I could do the same. Now I have my chance.
Andy Murray was talking to David Ornstein and will be contributing regular
columns throughout the summer.