[guide.chat] Andy Murray

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 10:35:12 -0000

Last updated at 08:40
Andy Murray through to Sony Open semi-final in Miami.
Andy Murray v Richard Gasquet.
Date: Friday, 29 March
Time: 23:00 GMT
Coverage: Live commentary on BBC Radio 5 live Sports Extra
Andy Murray advanced to the semi-finals of the Sony Open in Miami with a
straight-sets victory over Marin Cilic.
Murray, 25, lost his opening service game to the Croat but fought back to take
the opening set 6-4 before impressively winning the second 6-3.
'Victory never really in doubt'.
David Law 5 live commentator
A slow start and a nervy end, but in between Murray played his best tennis of
the week to win his eighth match in nine against Cilic.
When he squandered four break points in the first game, and then got broken
himself a game later, it looked a little ominous, but the Croatian didn't
really find any form until the second set, and by then he was a set and a break
down.
A pulsating, break point laden fourth game in the second set was held by
Murray, who punched the air, and although he needed seven match points to earn
his place in the semi-finals, the result was never really in doubt.
Second seed Murray is the highest seed left in the event, and he will now play
Richard Gasquet on Friday after the Frenchman beat Tomas Berdych 6-3 6-3.
Tommy Haas will take on David Ferrer in the other semi-final.
Murray, who won the Miami title in 2009 and lost to Novak Djokovic in last
year's final, will overtake Roger Federer to
The US Open champion was far from clinical, though, taking only six of the 18
break points he created. But he had enough to see off an opponent who made 37
unforced errors (compared to Murray's 20) in an encounter that lasted one hour
and 42 minutes.
The Scot allowed four break points to slip away in the opening game before his
24-year-old opponent finally held serve.
Cilic stepped it up in the second game to break and lead 2-0 before Murray hit
back immediately.
Both players continued to struggle on their own serve and two more breaks
followed, leaving the set effectively on serve at 3-2 to Cilic.
Match stats.
Murray Cilic
Match time: 1hr 42mins
First serves
Double faults
First serve pts won
Second serve pts won
Break points won
At 4-4, Murray broke decisively and managed to serve out the set before again
getting the better of Cilic's serve in the opening game of the second.
The British number one had to battle for more than 15 minutes as he held for a
3-1 lead and the pair traded breaks to reach 5-3, with Cilic serving to stay in
the match.
As in the first game 90 minutes previously, Murray squandered a 0-40 lead as
his opponent forced his way back to deuce.
Three more match points came and went before Murray finally got over the line.
"I think it was a very good match after the first few games, from my side,"
said Murray.
"Obviously I had 0-40 in the first game, didn't get it and went a break behind
but every time I got broken, I think I broke straight back.
"I came back well from the setbacks and used good variation to keep him
off-balance.
"It was a tough match, it was hot and we had some long points, long games, and
I'm glad I came through in two sets."
Murray's next opponent Gasquet, seeded eight, was in impressive form against
fourth seed Berdych, the 2010 runner-up, firing 17 winners in a 74-minute
victory to avenge a defeat by the Czech in the last 16 at Indian Wells earlier
this month.
The 26-year-old has lost four of his seven matches with Murray, the most recent
of which was in the round of 16 on the clay at
Also related to this story.