[guide.chat] Aberfan

  • From: "Vanessa" <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GuideChat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 05:50:25 +0100

ABERFAN  by Vanessa

I live in Aberfan near a coal mine,
Near a hill that shadows the sunshine,
A man made hill, made of fine black coal dust,
It was the only place, they said it was a must.

Truck after truck Ioad of slag filled the hill top,
The hill grew higher, no one told them to stop,
I watched the smoky dust from a pane of glass,
Off the truck wheels, while studying in class.

"Pay attention" the teacher said as we gazed out,
But we couldn't help watching the dirt flying about,
We wondered how much sky they were going to fill,
And how much coal dust was high on that hill.

I was home with measles, this particular day,
I hated staying in I wanted to get out and play,
Me mam had the curtains drawn, in case I'd go blind,
But I'd peek through to count how many trucks I'd find.

This same day, an avalanche of dust swept down,
And a thundering noise, echoed our town,
Every one was screaming and running in despair,
As the coal dust avalanched down every where.

It fell on our village, it fell on my school,
It fell ever where, this unwanted black fuel,
It fell on my friends, my best friends that day,
And left me alone, with no one to play.

Every one dug with their bare hands not spades,
Shopkeepers, miners, police, even barmaids,
They worked quickly and gently, no one smiled,
As they carefully uncovered each dead child.

The women shed enough tears, to fill up streams,
They echoed the village with heart broken screams,
Their souls crumbled, they each wanted to die,
ln Aberfan where grief filled the sky.

They worked as a team all day and all night,
No one wondered if it was wrong or right,
They blistered their hands, every eye had a tear,
Every body that worked, was a volunteer.

All my best friends from school, brought up dead,
It could've been me if I wasn't ill in bed.
"Your lucky to have had measles" you hear them say,
Well I'm not, I want to die, there's no one to play.

The funeral brought strangers in miles of queues,
They even showed Aberfan, on the news,
AII the little coffins of my friends who died,
The bigger ones held the teachers and mum's friends inside.

It's a fair few years since the funeral day,
Since all my friends, passed away,
The memories haunt me, inside my head,
I want to be with my friends buried dead.

Aberfan a cemetery, full of mourners who cry,
No one can talk or look, anyone in the eye,
Some are suicidal, some have no hope,
Some take drugs and drink and some cannot cope.

Tourists are visiting, goodness knows why,
They visit the cemetery, where my friends lie,
They won't let them, rest peacefully,
They won't leave us alone or let us be.

Our grief is as black, as that unwanted black fuel,
That fell on our village and on my school,
And which fell on my friends, my best friends that day,
And left me alone with no one to play.

by Vanessa the Google Girl

Vanessa the Google Girl
My Skype name is rainbowstar123