[guide.chat] A Birthday Celebration

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 18:05:13 -0000

Elizabeth
really enjoyed raeding all this here
brilliant

A Birthday Celebration

January 26th 2013,the day after my 95th Birthday and the day of our fanily
celebration. Lunch  had      been booked at the San Marino Restaurant on
Belmont Road.  Snow had been forecast overnight so the first thing I did when I
woke up was to draw my bedroom curtain to view the scene outside.  I was
dismayed but not exactly surprised to see that the forecast had been correct. A
blanket of deep snow covered the ground. Belmont was not the easiest place to
get to after a snowfall but perhaps the main road would have been gritted.

My daughter- in-law had arranged the lunch for me and after some discussion on
the phone we decided it would be a good idea to ring the restaurant to see if
we could postpne the booking untol the following day. However first of all I
had to contact my sister, who lives in Sale,to see if this was alright with
her. Unfortunately it was not. She had other arrangements for Sunday.

My son managed to get his car out of his drive and onto the main road and set
out to discover whether or not it was possible to negotiate Belmont Road. His
verdict was that the road was passable but the restaurant car park was snowed
up although attempts were beig made to clear some spaces.

I was under the impression that we were going ahead with plans for that day and
was getting myself dressed up for the occasion whem my daughter- in - law rang
to say the meal was cancelled, my grand-daughter and her partner, who live at
Irlam, had now decided that they did not want to risk travelling wih the baby
in the car.

I hastily got on the phone to inform my sister and the niece who was bringing
her, only to discover that they had already set off. I had Susie's mobile
nunber but there was no response. The phone was switched off. There was nothing
I could do. They would arrive at the restaurant in vain.

I cannot describe my feelings. I just sat feeling worried when my phone rang
and it was Susie. They were lost. I had invited them in the first place to come
to my home so that I could direct them but because of possible problems with
snow covered side roads I later suggesred  it would be best for then to go
direct to the restaurant. Unfortunately, instead of turning into Belmont Road
at the Astley Bridge terminus, Patricia had driven straight on along Blackburn
Road and finished up inDarwin.

Having explained the change of plan I suggested they should come to my house
instead and although they experienced some difficulty they eventually arrived.
I now had to provide them with lunch. What on earth could I give them at such
short notice? Perusing my store cupboard I discovered I had three tins of
chicken soup and a tin of salmon. I toasted bread to have with the soup and
defrosted bread rolls to make open sandwiches with salmon and tomato slices. It
was the best I could do.  We did have a better oportunity to have a good
chinwag but regretfully Susie and Tricia missed out on a gourmet meal.

This the rest of us enjoyed the  following day. We had an excellent meal and
afterwards returned to my son's house where Isla entertained us for the rest of
the day. We had a buffet meal late afternoon with snacks and a birthday cake
made by Catherine and decorated by her sister Judith. The cake had 94 imitation
candles and just one on top to light. As the saying goes "All's well that ends
well".But it was not exactly the way we had intended it to be.  Elizabeth Kay