[gtk-server] Re: GTK Server ".cfg" File

  • From: Peter van Eerten <administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gtk-server@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:16:33 +0100

Hi Sunburned,

Good questions. To answer one by one:

(1) Currently this is not possible. The GTK-server will try to find a function
in the GTK-libraries. The name of the library must be defined in the
"gtk-server.cfg" file, with the setting "GTK_LIB_NAME". Right now, only 1
GTK-library can be specified.

Actually I think this is a nice option for the near future: opening additional
GTK libraries. Then also non-standard GTK widgets can be used. I already ran
into problems myself with the OpenGL extension to GTK:

http://gtkglext.sourceforge.net/

So right now, I cannot use these widgets (yet). But I will look into it.

(2) Indeed I am the sole maintainer. But that is because I still did not setup a
CVS tree. Feel free to contribute improvements or additions anyway, like many
others already have done before. Note that the GTK-server is written using ANSI
C (compiled with the -pedantic flag), and not C++.

(3) This question was asked before. Indeed this would be nice - an XML
compatibility with the GTK-server. Manually desiging the GUI is a tedious thing
to do. Note that James Bailey already has done such a thing, using CLisp. You
can find his interesting Lisp programs at

http://dgym.homeunix.net/clisp-gtk2/

Especially the file "gtk-glade.lisp" is a source of wisdom. According to James
this program "...exports glade-parse, which takes an xmls representation of a
glade save file, and generates all the widgets based on that information."

A similar thing can be done with newLisp, I am sure. Maybe a nice challenge for
you; it would be a major contribution to the newLisp community!

Regards

Peter

--
http://www.gtk-server.org