[gtk-server] Re: GTK Server ".cfg" File

  • From: Peter van Eerten <administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gtk-server@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:49:45 +0100

Hi Landon,

(1) My primary development platform is Slackware Linux (www.slackware.com).
First I take care the program compiles on Linux; the GTK-server is primarily
intended to be used on Linux anyway. If everything works fine there, then I
switch to Win2000 or XP to make a port.

(2) The one and only on Linux: gcc (Gnu C Compiler). This has become an
excellent compiler, and has proven to be stable and reliable. Everything in
Linux is compiled with GCC, including it's kernel. On the Windows platforms I
use the Windows-port of GCC which is known as "MinGW" (www.mingw.org). It is
also nice to know that the GCC/MinGW compiler is free (like in "freedom"), and
the resulting binary's can be used for any purpose.

(3) Actually yes, I had programmed with GTK before, so for me it was easy to go
on with the GTK-server since the API already was familiar. You could start using
MinGW as well since your code might be easier to port to other platforms (like
many Unix versions, Linux, MacOSX, and so on). Also GTK for Windows was ported
using MinGW, though you can compile it with VisualC as well.

The book I learned most from, is called "The C Programming Language" written by
Kernighan and Ritchie. As I understand it, these 2 men have actually invented
the C language, and who can explain better than the inventors themselves? Until
today I lookup issues in this book.

The GTK-libs hosted at Tor's page are used to develop with GTK. Those libs are
needed for the GTK-server on the Windows platform as well (except for the actual
source code of the GTK libraries). So the header files, the extra libraries,
pkgconfig, etc... are needed - a lot of stuff to download.

Again, my vision is coloured by my Unix background. Therefore I would recommend
the GCC compiler. With MinGW on Windows, and also the MSYS shell, you will have
extremely powerfull tools to develop with C. As IDE I always use VI Improved
(www.vim.org), which, for first users, will be a very user-unfriendly interface.
But the original VI is used as default editor in Unix, so I am used to it. And
besides, VIM is created by a Dutch guy, and I am a little bit of a patriot...
;-)

Bloodshed I've heard of, but never used.

Regards

Peter

--
http://www.gtk-server.org