[gt5] Re: preamp vs loop

  • From: "R. Shawn Deveau" <shawndeveau@xxxxxxx>
  • To: gt5@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 12:36:47 -0600

No problem Ricky!

Well, it's all very subjective really. I've discovered that what
sounds good on my system may not sound all that great on someone
else's system. I don't do any solo guitar stuff, other than some
quiet acoustic pieces, so the sounds I create with the GT-5 are
enhanced by the bass guitar and other instruments in my backing
tracks. I've got some recordings that I'll try to make available to
everyone.

My approach, though, is always the same. I start with a blank patch
and add sounds to it until I come up with what I call the Base sound.
This sound is usually  (depending on the song) a fairly clean sound.
>From there I typically add the Custom Preamp and tweak an
intermediate distortion sound. Then I use that as the base patch for
the lead guitar sound. Using this approach maintains consistency
while adding layers and subtle changes.

I've got one sound that is wretched on its own, but when played along
to my backing tracks, fills up all the holes quite nicely.

If you have any experience mixing, you know that each instrument
occupies a certain frequency range, many of which overlap. The trick
is to add or subtract to achieve a balanced sound that allows each
instrument to cut through the mix.

None of this directly addresses your question about achieving that
'bite' we all love so much, and that's because I don't think the GT-5
will give you that on its own. A nice saturated tube sound comes from
a tube amp, not a blue box full of transistors.

Hope this helps!

R. Shawn Deveau
Barking Penguin Productions
09/05/2003

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 08:59:44 -0400, WONG, RICKY frantically typed: