[gshalin] Incident at SouthPark Mall

  • From: "Ronald Wimberly" <ronwimberly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSHOA Email" <gshalin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <neighborhood.watch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:55:26 -0500

Greetings,

     Some of you have received an email regarding an incident that took
place at SouthPark Mall.   For those of you that have not received the email
yet, I will explain what took place.  On Sunday evening around 5:30 a
citizen was leaving SouthPark, she was park on the top level of the
Dillard's parking deck.  She advised that when she got into her vehicle she
locked her doors like she always does.  She advised that the next thing she
knew, two black males were attempting to open her car doors.  One was at the
driver side door and one was at the passenger side.  The citizen advised
that she laid on her horn to attract attention and put her vehicle in
reverse and got out of there.  She located a SouthPark security officer on
the next level down and informed him of what happened.  The security guard
attempted to locate the subjects, but was unable to do so.  The citizen did
everything right in this incident, with the exception of calling 911 and
reporting it.  It is unfortunate that we (CMPD) had to find out about this
incident through an email that has been circulated.  I think that the email
is a good tool to help get information out, but when emails like this get
circulated, a lot of times the details get changed around or are not
reported correctly.  The email that is going around regarding this incident
appears to be reporting the correct details, however there have been some in
the past that have not always reported the details correctly.  Therefore I
am asking that if you received an email regarding a certain incident, and
you think that it needs to be past on. Send the email to me and allow me to
check and make sure that all of details are correct before you past it on.
We want to make sure that the right information is getting out there.

Officer A.L. Pharr

Providence Division Community Coordinator

704 336-2652

Apharr1@xxxxxxxx