[gshalin] How to lock your car

  • From: "Ronald Wimberly" <ronwimberly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSHOA Email" <gshalin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <neighborhood.watch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 09:18:11 -0400

There is an urban legend circulating and I wanted to dispel any rumors that
may have arisen from it:

"How to Lock Your Car and Why

.He called the police and since there were no signs of his car being broken
into - the police told him that there is a device that robbers are using now
to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your
key-chain locking device..

They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are
going inside of the store, restaurant, or bathroom and have a few minutes to
steal and run. The police officer said to manually lock your car door-by
hitting the lock button inside the car, that way if there is someone sitting
in a parking lot watching for their next victim it will not be you.

When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting...it does not send the
security code, but if you walk away and use the door lock on your key chain
- it sends the code through the airwaves where it can be stolen. Something
totally new to us...and real.

Be aware of this and please pass this note on...look how many times we all
lock our doors with our remote...just to be sure we remembered to lock
them....and bingo someone has our code...and whatever was in the car...can
be stolen."

This is an URBAN LEGEND and offers dangerous advice.

Thieves would NOT spend the money on the technology or waste the time
attempting to match your remote's codes just to break into a car. They will
just look for an unlocked car or if something very nice (laptop, GPS, etc.)
is left in a car, they will break the window and make entry.

Furthermore, it is a good idea to use your keyless entry so that you can
quickly unlock your doors and get into your car rather than fumbling with
your keys and making yourself vulnerable to a criminal looking for a
distracted person to target. You should also be able to ensure that you do
not lock your keys in your car if you exit your vehicle, shut the doors and
then press your lock button on your remote.

Here is a link to further explain the myth and the background behind it:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/lockcode.asp

Officer J. E. Wing #2511

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department

Providence Division Community Coordinator

704.336.2652

 <mailto:jwing@xxxxxxxx> jwing@xxxxxxxx

  _____

How to Lock Your Car and Why

I locked my car --- as I walked away I heard my car door unlock I went back
and locked my car again three times. I looked around and there were two guys
sitting in a car in the fire lane next to the store. When I looked straight
at them they did not unlock my car again.

 How to lock your car safely -

While traveling, my son stopped at a roadside park. He came out to his car
less than 4-5 minutes later and found someone had gotten into his car, and
stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigator briefcase.....you name
it...

 He called the police and since there were no signs of his car being broken
into - the police told him that there is a device that robbers are using now
to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your
key-chain locking device..

They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are
going inside of the store, restaurant, or bathroom and have a few minutes to
steal and run. The police officer said to manually lock your car door-by
hitting the lock button inside the car, that way if there is someone siting
in a parking lot watching for their next victim it will not be you.

0A

 When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting...it does not send
the security code, but if you walk away and use the door lock on your key
chain - it sends the code through the airwaves where it can be stolen.
Something totally new to us...and real.

Be aware of this and please pass this note on...look how many times we all
lock our doors with our remote...just to be sure we remembered to lock
them....and bingo someone has our code...and whatever was in the car...can
be stolen.

 Snopes Approved.Please share with everyone you know... Good information!!!