[greenstone_pt] About a multilingual prototype

  • From: nadia pk <nadiapk26@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greenstone_pt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:39:22 -0300

Hi John (and all),

Right now I got a small prototype with the languages listed below, mainly
from
portuguese countries.
I am at the first step,  checking how far can we go  with the languages,
and trying to discover if we got a frontier. At least for now, the only
problem is listing utf8 languages with a different alphabet like chinese.
The idea is having documents and interfaces on several languages,
so if one knows only kaigang, this person would be able  to access the
system.
The next step would be translate the dublin core information for each item
so someone who speaks kaigang  knows that there is something  in
kabuverdianu
about the subject he is searching.

I am using Greenstone 2.73 only because I wasn't able to explode some bibtex
data on the last version (and I was already used with it...). But other
versions
and applications are welcome. We can exchange experience too.

I am attaching a printscreen of title's list and the languages list. You can
see
that the chinese title is missing, but I am able to do a search
in chinese.(Since it's just a first prototype, please
forgive me for the simple interface).

Languages list:
 Chechewa
 Forro