[GradeQuick] Re: Web version of GradeQuick

  • From: tftaylor@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gradequick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 22:18:29 -0700 (PDT)

> Greetings:
>
>     We are new to the GradeQuick family this year.  We have a central
> server
> installation and our district utilizes SiteManager, SiteReporter, and
> LiveLink.  Now I see that there is a web version of GradeQuick available.
> am interested in the pros and cons of the web-based version versus the
> on-site version.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Terry
>
> P.S.
> I am new to this listserv, so forgive me if this topic has already been
> discussed at nauseam.

> If you have any problems, send an e-mail to:
>    Jerry.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We were shown a demo of the web based version this week. I was very
impressed.  First, it is accessed through Edline.  Edline is the web based
grade posting portal.  There is a way for GQ to be accessed if the school
does not have Edline.  Your registrars will upload class information to GQ
servers so all the teachers have to do is open their gradebooks and all of
the student info is there.  It even installs some plugins that allows the
computer to process more of the information locally without doing a lot of
data transfer across the net to reduce bandwidth usage and file
corruption.  One issue that we didn't particularly like was the fact that
we had to setup the school.gbk file for each school. We have 5 high
schools and 8 middle schools using GQ.  There is not a global function to
do this.  Overall there seems to be a lot of thought in this version. It
is a matter of wait and see because it is so new.  We welcome it because
we have GQ set up on each of those schools' servers, and it can be a
hassle.  A web based version would just what we need.