[GradeQuick] Re: Reports

  • From: JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx
  • To: gradequick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:45:03 EST

Martha Savage wrote:

> We do not have a copy of the GradeQuick program. We are not
> using one at all.  I have no idea what the test school is doing, or
> what the actual plans are. I do know they are going to buy a
> new school server and don't want to make a large purchase
> until that happens.   We are a technology magnet school and
> feel we are way behind-- so if the district doesn't
> make up its mind soon, we will do something at the school level.

Hang in there, Martha. Sometimes a "grass roots" movement can be successful.
That's how MY district ended up with every teacher using GQ. For several
years, we offered it as an option. It was not required that a teacher use GQ.
The
"Technology Integrations Teachers" ran workshop after workshop showing teachers
what a great program GQ was. Word began to spread that GQ was, indeed, a
pretty good program. When we were able to interface GQ with our district's data
management system (CIMS), the GQ-using teachers loved it even more. Some
teachers continued to spend HOURS filling out "bubble sheets" (using the
obligatory
"number two pencil") while GQ users simply clicked their mouse a few times and
all their report cards were DONE!

THIS year, for the first time, the district is now REQUIRING all secondary
teachers to use GQ. Our efforts have paid off.

Jerry Taylor
Technology Integration Teacher
Greece, NY School District
Web page: www.jerrytaylor.net
TASK page: www.greece.k12.ny.us/task/
GradeQuick listserv: www.greece.k12.ny.us/taylor/gradequick/

"Technology will never replace teachers, but teachers who use technology
will replace those who do not"

   Jerry.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx