[GradeQuick] Re: Network permissions

  • From: Jerry.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gradequick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:30:30 -0400

Edith...
Setting the "directory permissions" within GQ does NOT prevent teachers
from "poking around" in other teachers' folders. Preventing that is a
"network thing." I'm assuming your teachers log onto your network with
individual, unique usernames, right? If so, whoever (I know, I know, it
should be WHOMever... but that sounds too "snooty" <g>) sets THOSE up
would be the person to contact.

I know in MY district, teachers have individual network logins. BUT, the
way our network people set up Novell's permissions, any teacher can access
any OTHER teacher's folder of gradebooks. That's why we stress to teachers
that they be sure and put PASSWORDS on their individual gradebooks.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Jerry Taylor
Technology Integration Teacher
Greece, NY School District
Web page: www.jerrytaylor.net
TASK page: www.greece.k12.ny.us/task/
GradeQuick listserv: www.greece.k12.ny.us/taylor/gradequick/

"Edith Heilmann" <eheilmann@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: gradequick-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
09/11/2004 11:41 PM
Please respond to gradequick

        To:     <gradequick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        [GradeQuick] Network permissions

I am putting GradeQuick (with Site Manager and Site Reporter) on a network
for the first time. I have the programs installed and have created
accounts
for each teacher. How do I set permissions on each account so that a
teacher
can only change his/her own files? Is it within GradeQuick or is it just
on
the network? I know very little about networks and would need pretty
specific instructions.
Edith Heilmann
Cincinnati; Oh