[GradeQuick] Re: GQ Security Concern

  • From: Don.Menges@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gradequick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 21:36:28 -0500

Hi Frank.  We have been using GradeQuick "voluntarily" for the past 3 years
and "required" this current year.  Although we have been using it quite a
bit, the security issue is one we have not solved either.  However, each
teacher has their own network log in name and password. Students can't even
"see" the network drive that GradeQuick is on. With no access, they can't
do anything to the files. IN fact the GQ program won't even run on a
computer that is logged in as a student. The problem we have is with
teachers that leave their computers logged in as themselves when they leave
the computer unattended.

You are doing the right thing by backing up files. In fact, in the program
itself, each teacher can (and should) back their GQ files up to their own
hard drive as well. The good thing to know is that even with about 500
teachers using GradeQuick, we haven't had a major security breach yet.

Don Menges
Technology Integration Teacher
Greece Central School District
585.621.1000 x2382

                      fferguson@drewcentra

                      l.org                       To:
gradequick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                    cc:

                      gradequick-bounce@fr        Subject:  [GradeQuick] GQ
Security Concern
                      eelists.org

                      02/08/2004 06:33 PM

                      Please respond to

                      gradequick

Colleagues,

I always tell my teachers and students the only dumb question is the one
that
wasn't asked.  We are new users of GQ, having only implemented it at the
beginning of this school year.  One of the first concerns I had was what
appears to be a real security problem with the program.  We apparently have
allow full rights (read and write) to teacher's folders for the program to
work.  While passwords protect individual teacher's files within their
directories from being accessed by anyone who doesn't have the password,
there
is no way to keep a dishonest individual (or an honest one making an honest
mistake)  from deleting those files from the directory.  Is there some way
secure the teacher directories to prevent a student from hacking into the
program and deleting the teachers' grade book files?

We backup these folders daily, so if we did lose one we could restore it.
Any
ideas from you power users would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank Ferguson

   Jerry.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   Jerry.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx