[GradeQuick] Checked Out Gradebooks and Daily Attendance

  • From: "Thomason, Rob" <rthomason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gradequick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:12:06 -0700

Dear GradeQuick Friends,
At Forest Grove High School we use GradeQuick V9 and the EdLine web interface
(as well as individual home GQ installations). We use CIMS as our Student
Information System. Some of our teachers, when absent, wish to check out their
gradebooks in order to work on them at home during their recovery. All
gradebooks are password protected but the Attendance secretary and/or the
Department Chair have a list of gradebook passwords.

Question: In schools that have the Check Out / Check In feature activated how
is attendance taken for a class with a substitute and for which the gradebook
is checked out?

We thought about creating "dummy" attendance only gradebooks but quickly became
concerned about Active vs. Inactive gradebooks and potential information
conflicts in the "sweep" to gather data to send to the AS400 (CIMS).

Other methods for collecting attendance:
*       Send a piece of paper to the office (the old snail mail option) and
have the attendance secretary hand enter attendance for absent teachers
*       Don't permit checkout of gradebooks when absent (not a good option)
*       Others?

Many thanks for your time and your thoughts.

Robert Thomason, Ed.D.
Director of Technology Services
Forest Grove School District
1728 Main Street