[gptalk] user config questions

  • From: "Bean, Scott" <beans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:21:24 -0400

First let me describe my current setup.

--domain.local

           |----Specific OU

                            |----Labs

                                       |----Specific Lab

                            |----Users

           |----TS OU

At the domain.local level I have 3 Policies that affect the domain.

At the specific OU level I have nothing.

At the Labs level I have one policy.  (I have many Specific Lab OUs but
am keeping it simple - Each having its own policy due to desktop and
start menu redirection)

At the Specific Lab level I have one policy that contains user config
settings.

All Users that are in the Users OU that log onto a machine in the
Specific Lab OU get the correct settings.

Now at the TS OU I have 2 policies.  One is Computer Config.  The other
is User Config.  Basically I need to have multiple User Configs based on
groups.  The main reason for this is that we do desktop and start menu
redirection.  The TS OU is for a group of 2003 Terminal Servers.  My
user that is in the Users (listed above) is not getting the correct user
config when logging into a Terminal Server.  If I move the user to the
TS OU the Group Policy Modeling tool shows that I should get the correct
policies but when I log on it still does not have the correct settings.
If the user is in the Users OU and I check the Group Policy Modeling
tool then the user config policy doesn't show up under applied gpos.

I guess my question is will I have to block inheritance on all the
Specific Lab OUs then instead of having my user config policy on the TS
OU move it to the Users OU?  Or what exactly is the best way to do this?

Sorry if this is somewhat confusing.