[gptalk] Re: new GPO Compare product

  • From: "Cruz, Jerome L" <jerome.l.cruz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:09:29 -0800

Will also useful for maintaining consistency between 'supposedly identical'
GPOs in different forests/domains. Up till now, I've have been using the
"Beyond Compare" tool (no specific recommendation, it's just what we use). That
effort requires:

*         Opening the GPMC

*         Saving HTML reports of GPOs I want to compare

*         Comparing the two in Beyond Compare (reads the HMTL in Text mode)

*         Manually scanning for differences (manually ignoring things like date
report run, etc.)

Tedious, eh? But actually faster in some case for GPOS or RSoP reports with
many settings. That's why I'll be looking at this one. What I'd "really" like
is the ability to compare a "baseline" GPO against many other GPOs (e.g. choose
one GPO as a baseline, then choose same GPO in many other domains at the same
time...like for 8 child domains.. choose one and compare to 7 others). Have
never found anything to support something like that.

Jerry Cruz | Group Policies Product Manager | Windows Infrastructure
Architecture | Boeing IT