[gptalk] net admins, have your laptop users experienced this..

  • From: "Washington, Booker" <Booker.Washington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 10:22:05 -0400

I have noticed that on occassion, my laptop users get the following
errors when they log on, maybe after redocking:

Could not execute the following script scriptname.bat. The system cannot
find the file specified.

And then just before that error in the log, I will see:

Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer
network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

Now, the user will continue to log on(maybe with cached credentials,
etc). And they will even be able to access network resources where they
have permissions, but when this error occurs at logon, obviously, any
mapped drives that were scripted via batch file, or any other policies
that are suppose to run are thwarted.

I can't seem to figure out why it is so inconsistent.

Some more environment information.  These are IBM T40 laptops that use
the IBM Access connections manager to control the NIC activity.  It
looks as though there is some kind of hiccup in the network connection
that occurs at logon, but once the computer logs on, it will get the
correct LAN ip address and network information (As opposed to connecting
to our wireless network, which is the failover if the LAN connection is
unavailable.)

Any thoughts?

.