[gptalk] Re: how to block removable USB storage devices

  • From: "Tim Bolton" <jsclmedave@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 06:11:18 -0500

I have two options that I would recommend.

1) Secure Wave's Device Control.  I highly recommend this product!!

http://www.securewave.com/sanctuary_usb_endpoint_security_software.jsp

- With this product you can

Lock down all USBs except for a single PC, for a specific User on that
PC, or for all the previous AND a specific USB device that you
specify.  Meaning that you scan their USB stick and ONLY that stick
will work on THAT PC, and ONLY for THAT User.

You can also monitor what they download and cache those documents for auditing.

You can control CDs, CD-ROM drives, Printers etc etc.  Its is
extremely granular and very powerful.  Maintenance is a breeze.

2) Winternals is said to have some similar solutions, but I have not
had the time to test.   However, I value the judgment of the people
that suggested it so I feel its worth a look.

I worked with Device Lock, but I did not have the granularity that I
needed or the over all options.

Tim Bolton

On 10/17/06, Ananth Rajagopal <ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

This is my first query, won't be the last for sure...

I'm working in an Animation studio, we have a policy here of blocking all
USB drives, along with FDD and CDD.

But we are getting some Pen Tablets, and all are USB devices, so obviously
we will need to allow enable USB ports, is there any way to block users from
connecting their removable drives and copying data using Group Policies?

Kindly advice..in detail :-)

regards
anth