[gptalk] Re: gpeditor crashes after adding custom policy

  • From: hans straat <hstraat@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:02:31 +0000

Scott,

it's hooked up to the OU Terminal Servers with loopback group policy processing
enabled. (merge).

Darren and I had a breeve converstation with troubleshooting and I decided to
delete the GPO and create a brand new one. All looks fine and is in place but
the policy won't even come to the machine anymore so somewere something is F
upped.

Regards,
hans
www.datacrash.net

From: klas9574@xxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: gpeditor
crashes after adding custom policyDate: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:08:01 -0600

Here's my first thought.  You are applying this policy to Computer objects
right?  If your trying to apply it to User objects it won't work, since it's a
class machine policy. Scott Klassen

From: hstraat@xxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: gpeditor
crashes after adding custom policyDate: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:26:59 +0000

Darren, Correct. I use gpedit to enable the policy and it should write the key
Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing with dword Enabled value 0 to the registry but
in the registry it won't simply show up. I am a bit confused maybe i made a
stupid typo somewere. hans

From: darren@xxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: gpeditor
crashes after adding custom policyDate: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 07:24:22 -0800

The ADM looks OK Hans but you’re saying when you import this into a GPO and
apply it to a computer, the computer does not pick up the value?

Darren

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of hans straatSent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:54 AMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: gpeditor crashes after adding custom
policy

well i changed the policy to a good policy forgot the VALUENAME "Enabled"
atribute...Problem now is it won't load in the registry. If i do a merge of the
key with enabled dword = 0x0000 blabla it works but with the policy it won't
create the key..I am a bit stuck here?  CLASS MACHINECATEGORY
!!Mostware_Internet_Explorer POLICY !!Disable_Tabbed_Browsing  EXPLAIN
!!DisableTabBrowsing  KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\TabbedBrowsing"   VALUENAME "Enabled"  VALUEOFF NUMERIC 1  VALUEON
NUMERIC 0 END POLICYEND CATEGORY ;
Mostware_Internet_Explorer[Strings]Mostware_Internet_Explorer="Mostware IE7
Policy"DisableTabBrowsing="Disable the tabbed browsing function in Internet
Explorer 7"Disable_Tabbed_Browsing="disable tabbed browsing"

From: hstraat@xxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] gpeditor crashes
after adding custom policyDate: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:22:02 +0000Hey all, I made
a policy to disable tabbed browsing feature in IE7. But when I mark the policy
active in gpeditor the editor crashes :S Policy is this one: CLASS MACHINE
CATEGORY !!Mostware_Internet_Explorer  POLICY !!Disable_Tabbed_Browsing
EXPLAIN !!DisableTabBrowsing  KEYNAME
"HKEYLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing"  VALUEOFF
NUMERIC 1  VALUEON  NUMERIC 0  END POlICY END CATEGORY ;
Mostware_Internet_Explorer[Strings]Mostware_Internet_Explorer="Customer
internet explorer policy"DisableTabBrowsing="Disable the tabbed browsing