[gptalk] Re: Website

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie R Contr 72 CS/SCBAF" <Jamie.Nelson.ctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:31:17 -0500

Yeah, squid is probably the most popular open source proxy. I've used it
on my Smoothwall Linux box for years.

Regards,
Jamie Nelson

        Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:44:05 +0100
        From: Steve.Rochford@xxxxxxxxxx
        To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        Squid is free and I think will do what you want (as long as you
can configure users to get their web pages via a proxy rather than
directly). It's originally a Unix program but there is a Windows version
which is fairly easy to use. I put my notes on how I set it up at
http://techinfo.cnwl.ac.uk/Squid%20Proxy/ including details of where to
get the Windows version and how to set an ACL to block particular web
sites.

        By default it does log all access but this can be turned off. It
doesn't log username unless you go through hoops (just requesting IP)

        Steve