[gptalk] Re: Website

  • From: "Omar Droubi" <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:01:05 -0700

All of these suggestions are good ones but- as the IT administrator you
should present to your manager, and he or she should present to the
execs that to effectively manage web access including restrictions,
monitoring and reporting, a web proxy server should be deployed and all
outgoing web requests should be forwarded through the proxy via network
routing or browser proxy settings with tight outgoing port restrictions
controlled at the network gateway.

Using the IE restricted sites, HOSTS files or creating a IPsec policy or
a placeholder bogus DNS zone to solve this political issue is a
workaround and not really a good one.

Restricting web traffic is a political issue and as the IT admin or IT
manager- hand off the responsibility of creating the policy or owning
the approved site list if you can and make the company pay.

Now of course if you are administering public institution or school that
is limited in funding and administrative staff- and you can't get an
educational discount of a functional feature rich proxy solution- any of
the suggested work-arounds will work.

I have to go and get off my soap box now..

Omar