[gptalk] Re: Website

  • From: "Michael Pietrzak" <mpietrzak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:21:18 -0700

Craig,

You can use the IPSec techniques outlined in this walkthrough...

http://www.petri.co.il/block_internet_but_allow_intranet_with_ipsec.htm

to enable you to block certain websites via a group policy. It's VERY easy to
do. We had a problem with users visiting naughty sites and with this technique,
I can effectively block all web access, allow local intranet browsing, allow
only specific sites to be allowed, or finally, what you are looking for, block
individual sites.

Read through it. Again, it's very easy to alter the IPSec rules to block a
single web site.

Alternately, in your DNS servers, I use MS DNS so I can't say this could apply
to you, but you could create a new domain, say myspace.com, and make a bogus
DNS entry for it. That way, when any machine tries to go to myspace.com, it
will not resolve.

Either of those techniques should work great for you.

Michael

SDSU

Hi guys

Can i block a website through a GPO?

Craig Meyer

"He had no servants - yet they called Him Master, no degrees - yet they called
Him Teacher, no medicine - yet they called Him Healer, no army yet the Kings
feared Him. He won no military battles yet He conquered the world. he commited
no crime yet they crucified Him. He was burried in a tomb yet He lives 2day...."

Download the latest version of Windows Live Messenger NOW! Click here!
<http://get.live.com/en-za/messenger/overview>