[gptalk] Re: WMI filter on registry keys

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 21:36:46 -0700

Thorbjorn wrote on this subject once before on this list. Essentially, there
is no built-in way to form a WQL statement to look for a particular registry
value. WMI uses the StdRegProv provider to talk to the registry and it does
not expose an information model that allows for simple select queries.
However, I believe Thorbjorn's approach involved writing and compiling your
own MOF file on each target system to expose this. Not trivial.

I think your better bet is to simply do that reg. value query within the
startup script. That information is much more accessible using standard
vbscript methods than trying to make a WMI filter do this.

Darren