[gptalk] Re: WMI Filter

  • From: Thorbjörn Sjövold <thorbjorn.sjovold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:01:44 +0100

Actually you can check for IE settings with WMI but you need to use another
namespace than the commonly used root\CIMV2 namespace, namely :

root\CIMV2\Applications\MicrosoftIE

and the WQL query would look something like this:

SELECT * FROM MicrosoftIE_Summary WHERE Version LIKE "6%"

I just noted that this namespace does not exist on my Vista box when I was
going to hit WBEMTEST with it, but I know it does on XP/2003 and since Vista
comes with IE7 this is not a problem here since it will return 0 hits, i.e.
false, if it fails to connect to the namespace and thus the test will be valid
on a Vista too since there is no IE6 on Vista, although your additional XP/2003
test would take care of that anyway. I believe Darren have a tool on the GPOGUY
web site that lets you test  WMI Filters that you can use to verify my syntax
on a XP/2003 box unless you like the torture yourself with WBEMTEST :)

Justin, do you need help with the other two as well, or was the IE6 WQL the one
were wondering about, since that one is pretty tricky?

HTH,

Thorbjörn Sjövold

Special Operations Software

www.specopssoft.com <http://www.specopssoft.com/>

thorbjorn.sjovold a t specopssoft.com

Download our free tool for remote Gpupdate with graphical reporting,

http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/