[gptalk] Re: WMI FILTERS

  • From: "Mills, Mark" <Mark.Mills@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 10:05:34 -0500

I stumbled on this just last week -   Yes the Russian site freaked me
out too, use at your own risk.  Work around for WMI and Windows 2000:

http://www.mml.ru/WMIF2K/Default.htm

WMI Filtering for Windows 2000

Introduction

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 include a new feature, WMI Filtering
of Group Policy Objects. This feature allows to selectively apply a
Group Policy object based on the result of a WMI query. For example, a
GPO may be applied only to computers that have Windows XP SP1 installed.

Although WMI Filtering does not require Windows Server 2003 on domain
controllers, it is only available to Windows XP or later clients.
Windows 2000 clients just ignore WMI Filters and apply the GPO
regardless of the WMI query result.

The purpose of WMI Filtering for Windows 2000 is to emulate WMI
Filtering for domains that have a significant number of Windows 2000
client and server installations without the need to upgrade to Windows
XP and Windows Server 2003.

WMI Filtering for Windows 2000 features and limitations

WMI Filtering for Windows 2000 emulates the effect of WMI Filtering for
computer accounts running Windows 2000 and later OS. Filtering for user
accounts is not implemented in this release.

WMI Filtering for Windows 2000 maintains Active Directory security
groups that contain computer accounts matching the criteria specified in
the WMI queries. One or more queries are supported for each filter.
Group Policy objects are then applied to these security groups, using
the features compatible with Windows 2000 client systems.

Unlike Group Policy application, the filter processing is performed
during client system startup and/or shutdown. This may effectively limit
usefulness of WMI Filtering for Windows 2000 in some scenarios. However,
if WMI queries are used for tasks like software installation (that is
only performed during system startup) this limitation will not be
significant.

To use WMI Filtering for Windows 2000 a working knowledge of Active
Directory, Group Policy and WMI is required.

Go to the link above for the rest of the documentation....
http://www.mml.ru/WMIF2K/Default.htm

Mark Mills