[gptalk] Re: Vista lock down

  • From: "Jakob H. Heidelberg" <jakob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:33:32 +0100

Hi

I guess you have set the "Prevent Help menu from Start Menu" policy setting
(User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar)?
What is important to know is HOW the users are able to access that app, is
it a shortcut in Start menu, is it through Run, or whatever? I guess you
have other issues than just "HelpPane.exe" if you allow them to use "Run.",
BAT/VBS scripts etc.?

The answer to most questions regarding "lock down" is either:

1)      Software Restriction policies:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Default-Deny-All-Applications-Part1.h
tml
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Default-Deny-All-Applications-Part2.h
tml

- or -

2)      Windows SteadyState (previously called Shared Computer Toolkit):
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Protect-Public-Computers-Windows-Stea
dyState-Part1.html
Vista will be supported soon (beta version 2.5 is out there)

Regards

/Jakob